Monday 1 October 2012

PhiLiP s. SchMidT

 









My 'connected arts' vision was borne out of an immersion in the twin worlds of camera clubs & artists' guilds. I began to realize how important it is for photographers, painters, sculptors, musicians & poets to stand united in a culture that has become increasingly toxic to the arts & the humanities. The theme of the autumn showcase of the associate members of the Art Gallery of Lambeth is 'Escape'. The gallery's curators couldn't have chosen a more appropriate title. My talented artisan colleagues wish to rekindle a sense of wonder in the lives of those who come into contact with their artworks, & thus provide an 'escape' from the soul-deadening contrivance that surrounds us. An oasis of beauty in the desert of our media-drenched culture, if you will. Award-winning sculptor Melissa Kempf has conspired with me to take my 'connected arts' vision to another level: The integration of my outdoor photography & Melissa's sculpting. Melissa has chosen my image of harlequin ducks that I captured in Jasper National Park to express this three-dimensional 'connected arts' imaginativeness.



John Novak of John Novak Photography, himself a sculptor, will be lending his presentation expertise to this project. The end result will be a single transcendent artwork combining my stretched canvas photograph & Melissa's interpretative sculpting on a special wooden stand that John is currently creating. I look forward with eagerness to the completion of this one-of-a-kind piece. And I'm grateful to the curators of the Art Gallery of Lambeth - Vivian Tserotas & Brenda Colley - for this unprecedented opportunity.

written by:
PhiLiP s. SchMidT
Resident Artist • Art Gallery of Lambeth

No comments:

Post a Comment